As a church community, we are passing through a season of difficulty and uncertainty. Our congregation is aging; we lack the volunteer force for the ministry we would like to do; we are operating with a significant budget deficit; our attendance has been declining…
Yet our hope remains that new seasons of fruitful ministry for the glory of God and God’s Kingdom still lie ahead of us, and we look with expectation and anticipation for what God has yet do in and through us. Those days will only come, however, if we wholly rely on God to lead us and if follow where God is already at work!
This Advent season, will you join together with the rest of our church community as we devote ourselves to seeking God’s leading for our congregation? Let’s pray — as individuals and in groups — that God would lead us into a new season of vibrant and fruitful ministry right here in our community of Superior.
Here's the overarching question that is in front of us:
What is God's preferred future for our church congregation and how do we step forward into that future?
- Pray on your own: Set aside a designated time and place each day to listen to God on your own.
- Pray in gatherings. Join the Monday evening fellowship (see Lynn or Delores for details) or gather at the church for Soup and Prayer on Wednesday evenings at 4:30 (prayer time followed by soup and bread dinner).
- Sunday Morning prayer: Join Pastor Luke for prayer at 9:45 on Sundays before our worship service.
- Pray in groups. Gather with any group that you like, when and where it is convenient!
And here are the specific ways to pray:
Week 1 (Nov 26-Dec 3): Pray for spiritual awakening in our community of Superior.
- Pray for hope and light in the midst of darkness and despair.
- Pray for opportunities to serve our neighborhood and city.
- Pray that God would show us the needs that God is leading us to meet.
- Pray for our brothers and sisters in other congregations and organizations who are our partners in building God’s Kingdom in Superior.
Week 2 (Dec 3-10): Pray for spiritual awakening within our church.
- Pray for clear and fresh vision of what God would have us become.
- Pray for openness in our hearts to embrace necessary changes and new opportunities.
- Pray for willingness in our hearts to let go of things that need to be set aside.
- Pray for new companions to join us in God’s work.
Week 3 (Dec 10-17): Pray for Pastor Luke and the Leadership Team.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment for those who lead our congregation.
- Pray for our leaders to have a quiet trust in God and an indifference to everything but the will of God.
- Pray for the basic financial needs of our church.
- Pray for new leaders to emerge to partner with us in God’s mission and help lead us into God’s future.
Week 4 (Dec 17-25): Pray for new life.
- Pray that a fresh wind of the Holy Spirit would inhabit all of us together.
- Pray that we would each embrace again the abundant life that Christ offers to us.
- Pray that our singular focus as a church would be on proclaiming and embodying the Good News of abundant life in Christ in thought, word, and deed.
- Pray that those who need to receive the life of Christ might encounter God through our humble and loving service.